Saturday, April 22, 2006

The Pelicans' brief visit

I love pelicans! Every summer the Brown Pelican blesses us with visits along our coastline. However, I don't think I've every seen a White Pelican here. But look who has....
=========

"I've never seen so many pelicans," says Sedwick. "At least not in this country."

"They're magnificent birds," he said of their black-tipped wings and 110-inch wingspan. "I never even knew they were here."

The birding community is all aflutter at the sheer number of pelicans stopping by Nelson Lake Marsh this spring. Bird enthusiasts counted as many as 145 birds, up from a previous high of about 30 to 40, says Bob Andrini, president of the Kane County Audubon Society.

"I really don't have an explanation as to why there are so many pelicans this year," Andrini said. "I think it's just a matter of they told someone, who told someone, who told someone."

The Pelicans' brief visit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home